View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warsaw Pact and TI

i am aware of the difference between II, IR, and TI, thought the post made it clear, i was actually refering to smersh`s post about "IR sights being retrofitted on T-80s".

The TPN-1-49-23 on the average T-72 is a "night sight" with engagement ranges up to 1,200m. With the LUNA IR-Lamp (there are in fact a number of different IR lamps attached to the average T-72) the range increases, how much I am not sure. In any case Infantry targets can be made out on average conditions WITHOUT Luna up to 600m. The Luna helps penetrate smoke and fog, although prolly not very far.

Not so sure that they were as bad an idea as you suggest. During their time (1975-85) they were the equivilant of the best the west had to offer in AFVs, and the LUNA lamp was very very useful for directing fire. When we had them that was one of their primary functions.

However, all off-topic to the degree that they are not TI systems. Just trying to make sure that when the ORBATs are adjusted they get the 20 or 25 rating vision that these sightes entitel them to.