Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2019, 02:55 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

I think the way to do this is to remind everyone that when a major power sells a piece of equipment the buyer does not expect to get all the "perks" of that piece of equipment that the seller enjoys. I provide a couple of examples:

1. AH-64E GUARDIAN/or APACHE GUARDIAN: The foreign sales versions DO NOT have the same FCS that the USA ones are equipped with. The ones TAIWAN and INDIA etc. have gotten are equipped with the same FCS system that the AH-64D APACHE LONGBOW is equipped with and we're converting to the "E".

2. ABRAMS: Foreign sales AMBRAMS are not shipped with the DU armor we have on ours now. This would again included the FCS and more in this case.

3. With more to come, the RUSSIAN T-90M is a better tank then the foreign sales T-90MS. Don't get me wrong, the T-90MS is a very good tank, but it's not the T-90M.

4. The FCS should cover TI/GSR*FC*LRF*STABILZER these are the Sub-Systems that make up the FCS. The total package is what I consider when I submit my numbers for a piece of equipment.

Sometimes these issues get lost out here and is why when doing OOB work, you have to always keep these differences in the back of your mind. Copy from the supplier and modify it, especially for more current versions of say the ABRAMS by way of an example.

So I'm excited by the next bit of news as TAIWAN has just gotten over a major hurdle the get what is called the M1A2T. But this is a "cautionary tale" as they've been here before. That being said, I think it's the best shot they've had in about 20yrs to get the ABRAMS. From DID with the full article following as Ref. 2:
https://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sale...o-m1a2t-abrams
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...updated-02834/

Hitting the rack. Have a great day!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: