Old November 15th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Height Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Saving the link is very important especially if you have adjusted the angle as you now have the infomation to fill in the map.
Please explain, "saving the link," how is it used? What information is available to fill in the map?

Thank you

The link provides you the opportunity to return to the Map Tool and accurately recreate your hex map you downloaded (Including the rotation of the Map Tool map you may have done). For me, when I'm working on a map it will take me hours until I can get the basic road system, town layout, streams, etc done.

The map tool gives you the terrain, filling in the rest from the linked page is up to you. Having the link saves you from what I used to do, which was multiple screen print the Map Tool page and then refer to those prints to draw in the other map features. I can reload the Map Tool map complete with the rotation I may have put in, and return to generating the game map I am working on any time I choose.

One thing I learned from the latter, is I stopped using exact hex numbers to draw entire roads, etc. I set key waypoints counting hexes, then eye the roads and towns in from there. It may not be as accurate, but due to the scale difference between the Map Tool and the game graphics, it will save you many Tearing Out Your Hair moments. Also, you can soften the generated Map Tool Map to better fit road alignment, etc.

Finally, I use the same map coordinates I fed into the map tool, then go to google maps and look to man made features (fields, farms, etc) to mesh that into the map.

Hope this helps.

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post: