Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2018, 09:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MBT's

@FASTBOAT: I cannot recall exactly, but I estimate that out of 42 total Ukrainian tanks knocked out, 3 or 4 were from ATGM hits. All of my 10 losses were from cannon shells, not ATGMs. So ATGM effectiveness can be seen as minimal, which is hardly surprising considering both tanks have very thick composite armor, ERA and active defense systems.

Surprisingly, I believe that I knocked out around 35-40% of the Ukrainian armor by HEAT shells. The main reason is I've managed to hit many tanks to the sides and even rear at one occasion. I have to remind that the fact that I commanded the Russians had a profound impact on the final result. Since I'm quite experienced in the game and can safely say much more competent than the AI, I can use the terrain to my advantage better, create conditions for flanking shots etc. Whenever the two tanks threw punches at each other frontally, it was my estimation that they are altogether equal beasts, with T-84 probably being slightly better (but IMHO the T72 is more cost effective overall).

Regarding ERA, many of my main gun rounds were stopped by the Oplot's ERA. Whether they were HEAT rounds or KE rounds I do not know.

To have a clearer picture I will make two more tests: one in which terrain is wide open (so no behind forest ambushes for me) and one in which I command the Ukrainians.

PS: Yes you got it correct, Leftmost side is the Russian casualties, then Ukrainian casualties, then result (MV marginal victory, DV decisive victory). The average K is indeed slightly better than 4:1 in favor of Russia.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: