View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: In Contact determination

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Runners.
Might as well be birds, or some superstitious telepathic signals.
Yes, I tested it numerous times, even with a unit isolated with waters, no radios, no LOS toward friendlies, and surrounded by the enemy. 7 chance out of 10 it was still in contact with parent, and 100% chance in contact if it's an x0 unit (Platoon leader etc).

I get it Andy you're getting bored and lazy fixing up the codes, especially something not as game breaking as this one.

But please don't justify it as a "game feature", runners my ***.
I think the concept of "runners" described here is simply to visualize how the CHQ link works without radio contact. On page 31 of the SP1 manual (http://jlvignaud.free.fr/sp/sp1/sp.pdf) and on page 37 of the SP2 manual (https://dl.myabandonware.com/f/ln4/S...ual_DOS_EN.pdf) it says,
Quote:
If the
unit carries a radio it is never out of command control; otherwise, it loses contact with
the formation unit HQ if it is farther than five hexes away, or if it loses visual contact.
Now what this would mean is that if you are using the full reality setting with the Command button set to On in your Preferences (which I personally set to off, but that's just how I like to play) is that without a radio your contact status at more than 5 hexes from a command unit is largely dependent upon terrain and whatever the visibility setting is for the particular battle you are playing at the time. Also, never forget that on top of that is simply a roll of the dice by the program itself. Think of it as rolling a D20 and even through it all your particular unit somehow managed to maintain some kind of contact whereas another unit just rolled a 1 on the same D20 and is now royally ****ed in that respect. So with that in mind you can call it whatever you like, runners, smoke signals, telepathy, etc. but the fact of the matter is that it's not game breaking and has been this way since the original game came out.