View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick question about max battle points

If you are running in full screen mode on modern video cards, them a lot of these will produce laggy scrolling. Modern video drivers simply do not support 256 colour palletized modes with much success any longer.

On top of that, if you are using full-screen in order to run at say 1024x768 then that is a non-native video mode for most modern cards, and in addition its a "square" resolution on (probably) a wide-screen monitor.

Use Windowed Mode - the graphics drivers handle the 256 colour to high colour extremely fast. So Full Screen mode is redundant, and as Don stated we only have that there now for old machines or whatever. It is obsolete.

If you want a smaller desktop then use Windows itself to temporarily reduce the desktop size:
- Right click on the Windows desktop, and choose screen resolution
- Set the new desktop resolution using that tool
- Now fire up the game in the smaller desktop (=bigger text, smaller map)
- Once done playing the game, right click on the windows desktop and restore the original settings

You will need to play around with the various resolutions offered in order to find one that does not stretch or squash the icons and also perhaps is "crisp" enough. Modern wide screen monitors dont play well at any other resolution than the native one, unlike good old CRT ones.

in the worst case - say 1080i is way too large (text too small) and the other resolutions using that monitor dont look good (squishy or not crisply defined) - then you may perhaps consider finding a cheap (second hand shop, the kids one etc) smaller monitor with less pixels than 1080i. It can be run as a second monitor and the game set to run from that (I think - I dont use 2 myself). But I might do that myself as the eyesight gets worse in the next few years!

(I do have an old 1 tonne Ilyama CRT sitting in the spare room but haven't used it in a decade or so, the connectors probably dont match up to my modern box, so its off to the recycling centre for that soon I think)

Andy