View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map - Aomdom

Quote:
Ballbarian said:
Quote:
If you mean a program that randomizes the .map files...
Exactly what I mean.
I liked Gandalf's idea of creating "sets" of thematic units and sites to populate a given terrain type with. Along the way, I wanted the user to be able to do all of the map editing (even if it wasn't a hex map) from within the editor. Ah well, maybe I will pursue it more after I wear out my Dom3.
My idea was just a randomizer, but with the provinces capable of being defined in text files. That way, not only could the poptypes be put on different terrains, but the defender types could be changed, perhaps made a bit more random, and players could do more "unique" provinces with special defenders defending already-known magic sites, or perhaps just group of Abysians and Salamanders defending a Garnet Amazon province...

One thing I'd like to see is an alternative GUI for pretender creation, which would use all the map-editing commands to come up with more possible uses for pretender design points. More starting units, (a commander with) extra gems or magic items, starting mage or priest, a new starting spell, etc. I'm not going to try to do that monster, though, because that'd need a good GUI, and I haven't done anything in that field.