View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Next World War

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Meaning.

That since the middle of the twentieth century, commanders have had real-time "God" views of a battle?

I think not.

My inquiry is how to reduce "God" view of the map in our game, even if you say, we will always have it because of x,y,or z that does not mean a non-peer, if you will insurgent group has that "God" view of the battle.

Then designing a scenario where the player is that insurgent force what explanation do we have for a meager Taliban group commander having "God" view of the map?

Or, say we want to author a Korean war scenario, what explains either side having "God" view of the map?

If we move to the 21st century we may explain "God" view in many ways from persistent drone coverage, satellite, or a J-Star providing battle management assist to the ground commander.

=====

Firstly, as the gentleman at the top say, this is a game, not a simulation. Wargames suffer from this view thing, this game perhaps less than many others.

Secondly, since at least the early 1980's a major Western Army will have had artillery, air support, individual fighting vehicles and infantry down to platoon level on a radio net. Even the British Army, long notorious for relatively poor front line coms (outside the Royal Artillery) got it, more or less, mostly, sorted by about that time.

Thirdly, sure put some sort of inhibition on, a generally, really low tech side, although in the case of types like the Taliban or 'IS' their real problem is that what they say to each other can often be heard by the good guys.

As an aside I used to 'know' in an internet sense, a former USAF officer who helped design the high tech 'battle control room' type stuff one can see in a film like 'Black Hawk Down' (2001) and that was about an action set in 1993 that was actually not all that well supported...

Last edited by IronDuke99; September 18th, 2016 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: better explanation