View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM

Private

JCrowe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New patch and multiplayer map pack

I suggested a retreat option (for both sides) in the first book of changes I sent to Malf. It might be something they build-in later. They still seem to be working on the AI and unit balance. My primary concern with the 'Tactical Theater' of the game is that it skews heavily to a win-or-lose everything result. There's rarely an in-between. Which gives the victor of the fight a massive advantage.

Think about it - you spend bajillions to build a "death storm" force of Bombers, Fighters, and whatevers. You engage an enemy force of near-equal composition. Whomever loses, loses all. Which means that by the time the loser rebuilds their army, the victor has already overrun half the loser's country and become a virtually unstoppable engine of annihilation. All this from one half-serious battle.

On the other hand, if two equal forces meet, and the victor walks away with 40% casualties (dang good when the loser suffers 100%), the defeated party has a better chance of making a meaningful recovery. Or, if the party under attack can retreat and spare some of its assets ... then again there's the opportunity to rebuild your defense.