View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:27 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Scenario - Bear vs Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
And in case anyone think's I've forgotten Hue, nope, but trying to make it a single scenario probably isn't going to work. So it'll have to be a multi-part mini-campaign. But getting (more-or-less) accurate info on NVA, VC, and strangely enough South Vietnamese units involved has been rather difficult.
Full Metal Jacket (1987). USMC marine squad in the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive. A story taken from "The Short-Timers [read: draftees] (1979). Inarguably,the favorite war movie of a generation, especially those unlucky souls bound for Paris Island or San Diego. Who can forget R. Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

The naming convention of the NVA and VC formations followed their AO. Something like B1 may have been Central Highlands, etc.

You may have a similar map already, but anyway here is one I found. So, I see 7 battalions, so let's say a division.

I just finished FSW Ten Hammers on my old PS2 giving me a few hours to check out our game. FSW is a great game BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
The units involved are easy enough to find out.

But ...
What was their actual strength?
How were they generally armed?
What, if any, extra or special sub units? Sappers? AT? Extra mortars?
Yeah, that is so true when trying to build historical scenarios, either one side or the other is poorly documented, or most often the documentation is tucked away in a language other than that of the scenario designer, or bad links!

Reviewing the map, I can see two maybe three regiments, the 4th, 6th and the 12th (Sappers). Or, a third regiment did not participate in the initial attack but followed-up. The battalion from the 12th (Sappers) may have been composed of the sapper units of the 12th regiment. Although the map does not show the rifle companies of the 12th.

You could scale the scenario to the 804/4 assault on the MACV compound, but I know you won't, you like 'em big, right?

Looking forward to BoH.

Last edited by shahadi; August 23rd, 2018 at 12:40 PM..