View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Byblical Mod Discussion (\"Moved\" from Dom3 for

Amos, while what you wrote is interesting, it isn't too relevant, because your description is of angels as percieved by christianity, not Judaism, which is what we are aiming for.
For example, "Michael is the angel who wages war against the forces of Satan.", in the bible satan is almost never mentioned, and even when he is, he is merely an angel under the service of god. (And that's just where the word is mentioned in relation to that person. Most often "Satan" is just a word for "enemy")
In Jobe, for example, his job is to find sinners and go to god to tell on them. (which is why Jobe suffers so much, satan decided that Jobe could be guilty and got god to test his faith with punishments).
And there's definitely none of that "Gabriel is the angel who announces the coming birth of John the Baptist. Gabriel is best known for announcing the coming birth of Jesus. Gabriel appears to Mary and gives her tidings that she will become pregnant with a child who will be named Jesus." Jesus stuff in the bible

AFAIK, what I brought is the way angels are regared in Kabballah/Zohar. (Though obviously I haven't read the relevant books, and therefore can't know for sure)