View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Operation CAST LEAD

Quote:
Personally I don't think blinding the Israelis and downgrading their abilities is in any way fair and, in the long run, only upgrades the "skills" of the Hamas scum.
When I was playtesting the scenario early in the design process, the Merkavas were seeing Hamas units at very long distances -- I think this was because I was trying out using the Sewers and Hiding Pits in the PLO OOB as fixed immobile shelters to protect the HAMASholes from IAF/IDF artillery/airstrikes.

However, that didn't work too well, since the AI kept unloading the contents of the Sewers and Hiding pits, causing them to be seen at long ranges by IDF units, ruining the chance of surprise. So I tried lowering vision on all sides to stop abnormal long rnage detection. This probably was an overreaction, and I'll fix it, now that I'm not using bunkers as APCs anymore.

Quote:
As well, giving the Soufas nothing but paveways instead of their normal armament only further degrades the Israelis ability to deal with their enemies
That was a conscious scenario design decision; because the Israelis as far as I know are using only precision guided munitions in regards to aircraft dropped munitions -- they may be using 250 pound SDBs right now, I've seen reports to that extent by Strategypage.

Quote:
Perhaps a better way to portray this might be to leave Israeli capabilities as they are but increase the cost of the Israeli infantry so that individual losses are felt more.
That's a very good idea that I'll implement right now.