View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2024, 03:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
I know I brought this up awhile back but are we going to see the Ukrainian jets armed with the "standoff" weapons they've gotten since last Fall?

Also, tracking down "bits" saying their HINDS have been modified for HELLFIRE. I'm not seeing what I want to at this moment to ask for them.

I know your clock is fast running out.

Regards,
Pat

It would be helpful to know which "standoff weapons" you are specifically referring to.

There are no hellfires in the UKR OOB yet although...

https://dsm.forecastinternational.co...duction-fades/

Suggests I should add it but that link also suggests it's production is coming to an end

Quote:
the HELLFIRE is operational in Ukraine, engaging targets it was originally designed to defeat instead of destroying pickup trucks full of wannabe terrorists. Yet, history is unlikely to repeat itself (at least this time). Any spectacular combat success gained by HELLFIRE in Ukraine will not stop its eventual production conclusion.
They are also using the Swedish RBS-17 which is a Hellfire derivative which is also not in the UKR OOB BUT ..........surprise, surprise, surprise. The Dumping ground OOB for the worlds weapons is running out of free weapons slots so for the RBS-17/Hellfire we may need to amalgamate them into one to conserve space and that won't make anyone happy as Hellfires have two weapons classes as they have different uses some are ATGM and some are air to surface missiles and the RBS-17 was designed to be an anti-ship missile\

And to give all the error ferrets something to chew on in the Swedish OOB the "Hellfire Team" fires a "RBS-17 AntiShip" WC 13 ( ATGM ) and that may very well be what ends up in the Ukraine OOB ONCE I FIX THE DAMNED THING as it has no HEAT pen so it's useless as an ATGM and it's been like that FOR TWENTY YEARS. There may be a reason lost in the mists of time that explains why a WC13 ATGM was given 0 HEAT pen but I don't recall what it might be

I SUSPECT it was set up this way as it was not intended for AT work. What they are good for in a ground role in Ukraine is unknown to me at this time

And yeah Pat.....it's all getting ( really, really ) old

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 4th, 2024 at 04:32 AM..