View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:14 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
And to give all the error ferrets something to chew on in the Swedish OOB the "Hellfire Team" fires a "RBS-17 AntiShip" WC 13 ( ATGM ) and that may very well be what ends up in the Ukraine OOB ONCE I FIX THE DAMNED THING as it has no HEAT pen so it's useless as an ATGM and it's been like that FOR TWENTY YEARS. There may be a reason lost in the mists of time that explains why a WC13 ATGM was given 0 HEAT pen but I don't recall what it might be
I think it comes down to what the RBS-17 was intended for use against -- Sweden bought it for their Amphibious Corps (Amfibiekåren).

Seems that the idea was that helicopters or fast boats would drop off Amfibiekåren units who would quickly set up defenses on otherwise uninhabited or sparsely inhabited areas.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smal...llarms_id=1341
https://web.archive.org/web/20070101....com/rb17.html

The robot platoon in the AMF consists of 3 fire units which in turn are divided into robot and illuminator groups.

An illuminator group consists of 4-5 men who move with a G-boat.

The robot group consists of 9-10 men and moves with Stridsbåt 90H.

The entire robot platoon groups the advance along the enemy's likely path of advance, that way you can quickly open fire when/if the enemy shows up.

As part of the development of the HSDS (HELLFIRE Shore Defense System), the HEAT warhead of the normal Hellfire was replaced with a blast-fragmentation warhead to be more effective against small boats and landing craft. (it's why it has HEAT=0 in the OOB)

Additionally, the control logic of the missile guidance computer was changed to better work against surface (ship) targets.

This isn't the only specialized anti-landing craft ATGM made -- the South Koreans, Taiwanese or Japanese (I forget who) had a special TOW made with a different guidance wire section in order to use the missile at longer ranges over open water against incoming landing craft -- normal TOW can't operate over water over 'x' meters, because the guidance wires eventually touch the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post: