View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Master of Magic 2 - now looking quite likely

Quote:
Originally posted by Pickles:
To reply to Gandalf about randomness - I consider dom 2 to be too random for a serious MP game really. eg my first MP game I lost 1/4 of my population turn one with + luck and a lucky pretender - half my net income.
The fun of the process of teh game though makes this bearable - you are only really likely to be screwed in the firt half dozen turns which is not much of a commitment for a quick defeat!
Actually that fits my comments. Its nearly impossible for a game to do both. Everyone pretty much agrees that Dom2 is MP with some SP. But even the SP it has causes MPers to get mad. Im mostly SP so the things I would request (random maps, more events, alittle more random in combat, better AI) are all things that I know arent going to be as high on the list as things that are more MP oriented.

In MoM one of my favorite spells was charm. I loved going into caves with one guy and trying to win it by charming the basilisk. Of course I always saved before hand and reloaded if I failed. And that was many many times. That favorite spell of mine would quickly be targeted by MPers as needing fixed. They want a combat to be a formula so that it can be used strategically, not as a luck roll.

One of the best efforts at a MoM2 was "Age of Wonders : Shadow Magic". Is seemed obvious that they did it on purpose. That Lasted a month on my machine and MoM is still on my machine. Why? Im not totally sure. But it just felt too watered down. It was multiplayer. It was basically, exactly, what a multiplayer MoM would be. Others can try to pin it down further. All I know is that it didnt hold my attention even though it seemed like an awfully good MoM update.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)