View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2018, 02:45 AM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IDF OOB project.

Okay so now we reach ATGMs. As with everything else this is quite a mess. The issues are not only in dates but also in formations...
I first want to draw a broad stroke of ATGM usage by IDF and please let me know if something is unclear before I move on to dealing with the units, as probably it will take your understanding and experience in building formations and units to fix at least some of the mess.

Chronology(missing some esoteric stuff that really does not matter):
In the late 50s and early 60s the IDF purchased several hundreds or maybe thousands of SS-10, Cobra and SS-11 missiles.

After 1973 it captured AT-3 missiles and bought/got TOW missiles from the USA.

In the mid/late 70s it bought/got Dragon missiles from the USA

In the early 80s it started to use locally produced missiles that will eventually be know as the SPIKE series.

Formations:

The SS-10/11 and Cobra actually belonged to the Artillery, and were organized in a special unit. This unit was later discontinued when the IDF was disappointed with the performance of early ATGMs, but not before it saw some fighting in 1967. One could say this unit was the foundation of the "Orev" companies.

Following the impressive performance of Arab and specifically Egyptian ATGMs in the 1973 war, the IDF reorganized ATGM companies. Equipped with Sagger but mainly TOW missiles, eventually each infantry brigade (standing and reserve) would get such a company. These were semi-elite troops used not only in the AT role but also as recce elements when needed.

Some time after that, in the mid-late 70s the Dragon missile started arriving. As it was a short range missile it was adopted into the battalion level, in the support/weapons company level. Because the TOW was named "Orev" (raven), the units were named Orev Company.

In the early 80s when the first early SPIKEs were online, they were organized into a unit in the artillery core (what is old is new again, eh?).

So in the early or mid 80s we see the hierarchy of IDF AT/ATGMs as it basically is to today:
Level 1 : RPGs/LAWs at the squad and platoon level of rifle companies.
Level 2 : Short range ATGM (Dragon) platoon at in the battalion weapons company.
Level 3 : Long range ATGM (TOW) company on 4WD vehicles or APCs at the brigade
level 4 : NLOS ATGM unit as a strategic asset.

Current weapons:
Level 1 was covered previously.
Level 2: The Dragon was replaced by the SPIKE MR
Level 3: The TOW was replaced by the SPIKE LR or ER
Level 4: SPIKE NLOS remains, although upgraded

I just wanted to make this pre-post to make sure we have all the general frame before we go forward.