Thread: Snowdrifts
View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:31 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snowdrifts

The German 8.8 cm/88mm Flak 18/36/37/41/43 series was probably the best all around anti-aircraft/anti-tank and artillery weapon of WWII and a bit beyond.

So what kills planes, jets and UAV's? Shrapnel. You have to keep things in context here, we play a game based on a 50 meter hex or if you will 54.7 yards or again 164 feet (Slightly rounded off.) side to side.

And inside of this you have one of the above craft jinxing etc. to as they said when taking out the "Death Star" "Stay on Target, Stay on Target" Well good luck with your AP round hitting your target.

The A-10, HIND , APACHE and on and on again are armored to protect the pilots and vital areas of the aircraft from shrapnel causing damage to fuel, electrical and hydraulic systems. By definition this includes the airframe and aerial surfaces to some extent as well.

HE shrapnel will shred an engine which is why SAM's work the way they do (See Ref. below) or even AA. But there's more to it then that so here's another Ref both from well respected "Think Tanks"...
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...-warthog-52677

How to kill a plane and well, avoid being killed.
http://ausairpower.net/TE-Evading-Missiles.html

In artillery and I could careless of what type we're talking about, "Proximity" is what kills something. Shrapnel, Percussion (Shock Wave) that'll liquefy your internal organs and the occasional and lucky direct hit depending on your point of view.

And now I start to digress, so back to the top most artillery pieces have proved themselves with or without some modification to be very effective in a multi roles as AA, Artillery and Anti-Tank roles such as the Pak-88.

If you were to tell me a modern day SPA unit couldn't (And don't kid yourselves on the following that they can't.) take out a modern tank in direct fire or using their FCS to target a tank, well you'd be wrong.

But the Pak 88 wasn't FCS assisted compared to systems of today or earlier "yesterday" but, it has proven itself to be one of the most effective Anti-Tank guns made in its time and a bit beyond. That should cover the AP round issue to some extent.

And there is the case of the French M3 AA Quad 50's (3 I believe.) at DIEN BIEN PHU ask the VIET-MINH how they felt about them. REALLY didn't like them too much.

Did I talk about measurements!?! I know, I know, but that is a game reality now isn't it!?! There is one last measurement that applies here as well and that is Time, Speed and Distance a lot of math seems to go into these things now don't they!?! Or as we would apply in Submarine Navigation sometimes you just need a little "PFM", which could mean many things to many people!

Good Something to you all, for me this weekend is a little about reflection and remembering.

The 2 or 3 Threads on CM Artillery etc. will provide a much better understanding of the issues thus far discussed in this area.

I almost forgot, this Thread was about "Snowdrifts". Well lets just say this about that, snowdrifts up to 30,000ft or higher would not, I repeat not, be good for any type of aircraft manned or unmanned!! However it would relieve of the need for any another anti-air systems. So there you have "Snowdrifts" are EFFECTIVE against any weapons well especially up to or higher then 30,000ft. Just a thought.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 26th, 2019 at 03:42 AM..