View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by veneficus View Post
Was hoping somebody can offer some advice.

I recently upgraded to windows 7. (that is to say could not reinstall xp)

Attempting to reinstall the CD version of winSPWWII.

All goes well until the 3rd patch or so when i keep getting an error message that the patch did not install properly.

When attempting to run the game, it just crashes to desktop.

So I attempted to uninstall and reinstall again. Got several error messages that patches could not be uninstalled.

When reinstalling in different directory after that, I keep getting the "file did not install properly" message again.

Any advice?
The uninstaller does not work under vista/windows 7. Another thing broken by Microsoft it appears.

To uninstall - simply manually delete the game folder. Then delete the short-cuts on the desktop, and in the programme list. There are no registry entries to worry about.

The only thing I can think of that would cause any patch to complain is that you have a corrupt copy. Either the file was corrupted during the download from the shrapnel server, or the disk copy has become so (if it is an old copy you had lying around on your own media).

So I would suggest trying a complete disk test/repair (including possibly a test for corrupted surface sectors - a long process, so leave to run overnight) and then after that is done re-download all the patches from the shrapnel server and try again.

But firstly, I would re-download the patch that failed from the known good copy on the shrapnel server and try again. (maybe download it to a different place on the disk this time). That might then work if the download had produced a borked file due to a bad connection or storing it on a corrupted disk sector, and will save the pain of a disk surface test.

Cheers
Andy