View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Private

Brian White is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions about the game?

Derek first I'd like to say congrats and thanks for making a game I've always wanted to play. I have preordered and am eagerly awaiting it's release!

Could you give just a sample of what the text will look like in a given battle? I'm not a veteran of text based games, but I'd imagine each match would have quite varied, descriptive depictions of the action. Is that a correct assumption? Also on the website (either Shrapnel Games or the Wargamer) I read a "mission" would take 1 to 2 hours. Does that mean a fight takes that long to complete? If so what elements cause a match to take that amount of time? I'm curious about it since it seems as a manager you have limited input to the battle at hand.

I do think adding multiplay capability at a later stage would be a welcomed addition. I have a great number of friends I'd like to compete with in a game like this.

In the past I've done some "design docs" on a gladiator game, and I was hoping to making it graphical in nature. I've seen others on these forums asking if that were possible for Coliseum, but unless a very robust graphical combat system were in place I personally don't think it would add enough to justify it. I mean most graphical games only have a limited set of attacking and defending animations where your text system sounds to have a very large number of possibilites and variables. If these various things weren't accounted for by the graphical interface I think the game would be less deep, but this is all a guess since I've yet to see what you've done.

Again thanks for putting together a game I've been wanting to play for quite some time, and good luck!