View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone ever played Right-hand vs. Left-hand?

That is what i thought you had meant. While I will certainly be too verbose and explaining to a group that understands the concept I must observe, in order to be clear in this matter, that while these support units were usually attached to their organic combat units as missions were executed, the concept was a Bn Commander's greatest tactical option for flexibility without having to compete with the other battlegroups in requesting support from higher HQ.
Just as a Company level mortar unit is rather insignificant to the overall battle area, it is a Company Commanders only indirect fire support asset that he does not have to 'compete' with the other companies in requesting a finite amount of fire support. Even thought the weapons squad in a platoon would normally work within the squads it was not set which squad the Platoon Leader would assign the support to and thus he had flexibility to reinforce a squad with MG and AT if their situation warranted it.
While only evident in campaigns, in the cross-attachment set up between battles, removing the weapon companies from the OOB and dividing their formations among the combat formations would not allow a flexibility for a core formation to reinforce a company defense of a road area with the Bn AT platoon or sending the scout platoon to a end company to screen their open flank.
If there is a limitation in the game understanding these support units operating independently (in distance) from the Weapon's OOB HQ, perhaps more radio values or higher rally/morale/experience values for these formations to reflect their training and 'mindset' to go 'where needed' and function with greater initiative. If a tactical noob deploys such a support unit as a Line infantry formation or dislikes having to structure their forces between battles that is their concerns but I would like such formations to remain in the OOBs of the appropriate formations. I usually lament the fact that a transportation platoon of trucks and ammo supply vehicles are usually left out and I have to buy them separate and then I have to endue the 'I can attach the sub units to another HQ but I cannot attach the HQ unit to another HQ' problem.
But then again, I could be completely 'off the mark' to this matter to which I apologize for wasting 2 minutes of your time that you will never get back but I doubt you can fault my passion about WINSP and all the fantastic work that has been done to keep it alive.