View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Persian Empire Mod (Beta)

Chazar >> Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, my linux box is broken at the moment and I haven't had the compunction to fix it. I assume that the standard CRLF characters--0d0a, inserted (e.g. by a hex editor) would solve the problem. I'll check it out, I just figured that the parser stopped reading when it hit a newline character or a quote.
Quantum >> I'll do a little more number crunching and see if I can pick a fair, but higher cost for the Sha'ir.

Sandman >> The Hashishim were an Islamic group--most of the Persia mod is based on Zoroastrian Iran which is pre-Islamic. The exception is, of course, the Sha'ir which is an Islamic derivation. I didn't feel that, with their other bonuses in mind, they needed either a spy or an assassin. They have a scout and stealth units The Fravartin and his Spectres are stealth units.

I was going to do a fictional name for them, but my knowledge of Sanskrit (particularly the Avesta dialect) is confined to English translations thereof. (any Sanskrit majors out there?)

The reason I gave the Immortals shortbows is because they often carried them--[Digression]I don't know what the Sanskrit word that the Persians used to indicate the "Immortals"--Immortals is a derivation of what the Greeks called them. Satapatish is the correct word for their lieutenants though. I'd prefer to use the Sanskrit word, but I haven't seen it used.

My brother, "BigDaddy" here, noted that the price of the Scythian Archer was 15g, 10r, and thought it was quite high considering most archers are less than 10 bucks. I based the unit costs on a weighted deviation from the mean (I have attached my work spreadsheet for all interested to peruse). There is a good chance that they're too expensive, however, I'm not really an expert on cost analysis.

I suppose I forgot to give the cavalry hoof Attacks . They're pretty good without, but in keeping with the spirit of the game, they should.

Anyone picked up Zarathustra, Rustam, or the Simurgh yet?
Attached Files
File Type: xls 340735-Persia Matrices.xls (526.5 KB, 590 views)