View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ANDalusian Sun. Anonymous LA game for (rather) experienced players (Recruiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
...[Rant.]... (Including some good points)...[rant]...
1) From a quick glance through the dm file when the mod was first suggested I think about half of the sites had some gem income, allthough the main draw should be the recruitable units. Looking at it again though, the half with gems are mostly the uncommon sites. Wheter the recruitables are good enough to justify it is another matter though. I definitely did not go trawling through the file to (try to) find out, but the ones I encountered in my few test games ranged from decent (will probably recruit some, but won't alter my strategy) to useless. Which does indeed seem underwhelming, although sample size is small.

I don't think editing out the Holy Wars sites after nation choices is a good idea though, for the same reason it wouldn't be a good idea to remove it entirely. I don't know how likely it is, but I can easily imagine someone with decent but capital-only sacreds (Utgard, Atlantis, New Jomon, T'ien Ch'i spring to mind among the ones in the game) using the easy availability of independent sacreds to help justify going for a (somewhat bigger) bless than they otherwise would. I will say I briefly considered this before looking to select nations myself, before deciding that trying to figure out if the sacreds from the mod were worth it was too much effort.

If no one objects I can easily hike up the site frequency a bit though, (50? 55?) to compensate for the few gem sites lost due to new holy sites. That way you can have your "boring-but-useful" gem generators, and others will still have their "flavourul and well made but ultimately useless" new units and everyone is happy(ish?)

2) In all the mods I've looked at so far (which includes 3/4 of the ones in the nation pack) I haven't seen a single unit that's worth wishing for over the "usual suspects" (Seraph, Chayot, Mandaha,..) Allthough I definitely won't vouch for every single one. Easy to overcome with the blanket rule "no wishing for units outside of the Mods intended for use." (And there's definitely nothing worth wishing for in New Jomon nor New Ulm)

I won't say much on possible bugs as that's out of my area of expertise. I did go out of my way though to use all national spells and summons from both nations after the blowpipe scare and didn't notice anything else untoward, but best not to consider me an authority on the issue.) I definitely wouldn't mind using only the strictly necessary mods, but apparently uploading the newest version of Jomon, Broken swords on it's own isn't possible, so it would need someone going through the effort of making the combo mod. (If someone wants to explain to me in very, VERY small words how to do go about it I don't mind doing this myself, but it would probably be more work to explain to me how to do it, than to actually do it. )