Thread: Abrams
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Abrams

I will need to reverify, however, I do believe the M1 for the USMC is correct and that I posted on the matter when I submitted the M1A1HC FEP along with all the other ABRAMS issues that "popped up" for the last patch. But I do know exactly where to go concerning the development of the ABRAMS to also get the answer. See Pg. 86 Post #857 for further info. The whole ABRAMS "MADNESS" started on Pg. 84/85 through 87/88.

Regards,
Pat

From Pg. 6 of below Ref., but, simply put the USMC started with the M1A1. I used the below Ref. in the M1A1HC FEP submission.
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a608067.pdf

"II. BACKGROUND
The M1 series Main Battle Tank (MBT) is a key piece of equipment for the United States military in conducting offensive and defensive operations. The Army M1 MBT program dates back to the early 1970s with the XM1 tank and evolved into the M1A1 in the late 1980s with upgraded armor and 120 mm gun tube. The USMC received its first units of M1A1 MBTs in 1989, and additional tanks were transferred to the USMC from the Army and Anniston Army Depot through 2008. The following sections of this background chapter describe the acquisition and development history of the M1A1 MBT, the role and force structure of the M1A1 MBT within the USMC, an overview of USMC ground equipment maintenance, the DOD maintenance policy, and the USMC M1A1 rebuild program."

To the name...In the CORPS (And Web.) and these are interchangeable and acceptable either M1A1HC FEP or M1A1 FEP. Everything lead to the FEP and was LONG planned for which is why I submitted and chose to use the M1A1HC FEP nomenclature to represent the whole process as discussed next.

The difference is simply the "HC" is used to denote the complete incremental upgrade process of the USMC M1A1 tanks. The FEP is no different then the USA having named their M1A2 tanks M1A2 SEP whatever version you wish to discuss until recently.

Difference between the two programs was that USMC FEP was limited to a major upgrade to it's FCS and supporting systems. The USA SEP was all that but also included CROWS, Armor, BFMS it etc. and is an ongoing Depot incremental improvement and will continue as such for many years there's already "chatter" about a "SEP 5" if you will. And no need to worry as we're still waiting on FOC of the "SEP 3", besides the game will be ended (2025.) before we see the next version after it.

Regards well, again,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; June 3rd, 2019 at 09:41 PM..