View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Support at Ia Drang

I just received a reply from a veteran (Ross) and I also found another source in the Internet:

Source:
Our two door gunners would be stationed on
either side of the hell-hole cover-in the pockets-firing M-60 machine guns attached to pylons. During our first two months, though, the machine guns would simply be
strung from the top of the open doorways on elastic bungee cords. With the crew chief and gunner in the pockets, there was enough room for eight or ten troopers on the cargo deck.

Quote:
++1. At the LZ X-ray battle did the UH-1Ds (slick) had any mount weapons (because I ve found a source that tells that they were unarmed*** The new Huey "D" models used by the Snakes did not yet have mounts for the door guns)?

if they didnt have door mounts, they had m-60's on bungie cords, straps or some type of cord.

They had doorgunners with auto weapons.crew cheif used the same.

++2. During the LZ X-ray battle what was the quantity of UH-1B Gunships and UH-1B ARA that helped in close support

question 2 will have to be ans by Crandall http://www.xav8er.com/ , scrandall@attbi.com

he was suppose to lay on the gunships amount, when they made their attack plans.