View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reflections. 1946 USSR campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The t34/76 is probably not the best idea as the main battle tank in that era (as you have discovered!). After all, they were replaced by the 85 a few years before. I would have bought 85mm tanks as the starter core, their gun power is really vital 1944+ - and you are well past that.

However, a platoon of 76mm T34 assigned to the Bn HQ as basically a replacement for the old light tanks of WW2 could work OK. If used carefully, never risking them and always staying behind the riflemen. As recce, could work the flanks, taking riflemen, scouts or inf-AT to handy villages or woods (as heavy APC, basically). Dismounts do the looking, the T34-76 hide with pride till needed. It's actually the only useful recce vehicle you have in that time frame?. No decent armoured cars yet, anyway.

Later on, the ASU-57 or PT76 are useful light APC plinkers with protection from rifle/MG fire (unlike the UAZ+RCL) that can support the dismounted grunts. If they remember to hide in the shrubbery rather than sit out in the open of course!. Ammo supply is a problem though.

Cheers
Andy
huh, that's an interesting idea. I may have to give that a shot. They'd be able to slug it out with light vehicles for sure, which the armoured cars can't do.

Later on, I can always find something else to replace them with.

How big an infantry squad can they transport? I might stick some scouts or get an extra SMG platoon.

Speaking of.. do you use SMG troops for this period, or just rifles? I was a bit torn, and I ended up just going with rifle infantry. Now I am wondering if I should have gone with some SMG guys, until carbines or AK's show up.

Cheers