View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Quote:
Epoletov_SPR said:

Not so.
The infantry should be able to dig entrenchments during fight (so in WinSPWaW), 2-3 Turns, depending on experience the soldier).

No, that's a big error in SPWaW we really don't want to repeat in these games. It takes a lot of time for soldiers to dig an entrenchment or foxholes that give significant protection and allow them to fight effectively. It takes far longer than those 5 to 10 minutes you mention (try an hour or more at least). Which takes it out of the scope of the game length for these tactical games. Bad idea.

Quote:
Epoletov_SPR said:
You probably did not meet their massed and skilful use in fight.

They are very cheap for the abilities.
Intel, destruction no-armored and light-armored targets.
And also for destruction of enemy helicopters (from distance 1 hex for example).
And at last in the end of a strike to land a courageous landing!

And your air defence will not prevent, for this purpose is unvaluable no-armed helicopters and effective (absorb air defence) UAV. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img]

It is necessary to increase cost Armed transport helicopters.

I don't think it's necessary. IMO you're making the mistake of taking a single combat system in a single specific set of circumstances and then complaining the system's not balanced. In another set of circumstances that same system seems pityfully weak. So if I do have a host of aa guns in my game wiping these craft from the skies that doesn't mean they are too expensive and need a cut in price (although I stick to my opinion they are barely cost-effective).

Like everything it comes down to the balance of forces. If you buy lot's of infantry without AT weapons and BTR60's you can hardly complain armor is too expensive because it's so hard to destroy the enemy tanks.
Most transports can be damaged destroyed even by small arms and damaged units will fly off the map.
And as to their effectiveness, they are in RL too (under the right set of circumstances). The Americans showed in Vietnam just how strong a helicopter born infantry force can be in a light AA environment.

Quote:
Epoletov_SPR said:
All right infantry pinned.

But when armored vechicles badly are at war after their bombardment from machine guns, it is strange.

It is necessary to relieve armored vechicles from pinned fire MG-unit, etc.

Even Crew with Pistol can buttoned Tank.

I'm not dure if you understand the disticntion between ready and buttoned for AFV's. Ready means the crew has hatches open and is sticking their heads out for the best round view. When buttoned they close down those hatches and have to use whatever visibility their AFV allows. No matter what their performance will drop as they will have a reduced view of their surroundings.
When faced with small arms fire, even from pistols, crew will have a tendency to get under armor and close the hatches. But don't forget that most times such a pistol shot will not cause a AFV to button down so they'll be able to use all MG's to fire back.
When faced with a barrage of mmg area fire you bet that AFV cress will pull down their heads (and hence be 'buttoned'). Heavy mg fire (and even small arms fire) is a real life tactic to reduce the effectiveness of AFV. It can even drive them off in RL (that happens when a AFV crew is buttoned and no longer feels secure because they can't see everything around them anymore; in fear of an ambush they may pull out). So why shouldn't the game have this too?

Quote:
Epoletov_SPR said:
Arrives UAV and stupid air defence shoots on it though it is clear that not effectively.

What such real world tactic, it is lack WinSPMBT 3.5.

What bad to order to air defence to shoot on important, valuable aircraft?
Ambush in air defence one of the basic military cunnings of modern war.
Wait valuable target.
For example so was in Vietnam (B-52 down, passing fighters).

There's a difference between ambushing strategic bombers and ignoring tactical craft. What you're saying is "let's ignore these little craft who are maping out all our forces present so the enemy knows exactly where to aim their cluster ammo". UAV 's are a PRIME target for antiaircraft units, as are other scout aircraft like scout helicopters and light planes. Modern combat is all about C3I and the speed with which you can react. UAV's give about the fastest response possible (as they have a direct link to a base and there is no 'pilot' as intermediate who has to communicate his findings) to the enemy so these are very important targets to shoot down.
Ignoring scout craft would lead to far, far larger problems to the game than what you feel is present now.

Quote:
Epoletov_SPR said:
There are many factors reducing efficiency TI in a reality.
Weather for example (a rain, a heat, etc.) - reduces ability to find out target.

In WinSPMBT 3.5 TI gives too big superiority.

Now cost "TI" it is underestimated in comparison with efficiency.

As I said, this debate was done months ago. TI is in fact much more capable in many respects than it is depicted in the game now. So it averages out.

And I'll repeat from before, TI can be blocked in the game, it's not going to see through everything all of the time.