View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Civil Liberities During Crisis

Quote:
Yef said:
2- What have happened to them?
In the 7th century the Arabs spilled all over the middle east. They forced to convert entire etnic Groups, and even today there are Languages that are forbiden from the Arab schools and media, like the Tuareg dialects in Argelia. The Arabs waged and still wage a cultural asimilation war on the etnic Groups that fell under their boots. You can see this more clearly in Sudan. Yet very little of these makes the news.
And so acted the Christians. Ask the (south american) Indians. And don't forget the horrors of the Crusades where thousands and thousands of innocent arab civilians were slaughtered by Christians because of their believes ("deus vult!"). This horror is still deeply imbedded into the arab world and that is why Bushs use of the word "crusade against evil" has caused the widespread fear that it is in reality a "crusade against the arab world" with all the horrors of the past returning. It all boils down to this: No matter what religion you believe in, if someone calls for a (holy) war against evil you should get very careful. You might just became "the evil" you are trying to fight.

Edit:
I missed the rest of your post but I have to say that I strongly reject your position. Destroy their holy sites? Unable to secularize? Pardon me? The arab world was the jewel of knowledge and culture, the area where the ancient wisdom of the greek and roman world was preserved. It was ahead in civil technologies years and years to Europe. This all changed when the crusaders invaded and raped the arab world. How far have we become to say that the world will be a better place if we just kill enough people we don't understand or like and destroy the things they believe in. You fear a nuke against the US but yet you supose to do the thing you fear to other people...