View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LA Atlantis - frozen death from all directions

Quote:
Maraxus said:
Interesting, I had not thought of playing Late Atlantis with a bless.
*checks*
And I really can't see that working either. Just not enough points for these E9S9N4 and acceptable dominion and acceptable scales.
Don't forget, that the Arssatut are capiton only. On the long run they are not worth it.

I'd take a Magic diversifyer god. With only 2/160 chance to get a double earth or double air Angakok, these random picks are basicly wasted, unless you have much luck or a good that helps start the gem-flow here (And in case of eath forges the first hammer+earth boots).
And in fact, you can take a sleeping Crone with enough magic in Earth, Astral, Air and Nature and still have some really good scales:
Order 3 Productivity 3 Magic 1 - I would not go without it. Your troops are good and any and every gold can go into more research centers. Cold 3 sounds good but I would not go all out in death or misfortune.

This probably makes the early game more dangerous but I see better chances on the long run.
Yes, I tried to be clear that the nature component of the blessing was both optional and required some opportunity costs to afford. One reasonable build which fits - Imprisoned Monolith sloth -1, cold-3, death-3, magic-1, dominion of 8. Nature does give you a pretty good diversification as well as the regen blessing, but you can certainly make this work without it if you decide to spend the points elsewhere. Thing is, you can't even really get too much cheaper going without the nature component since the monolith is the cheapest chasis to get S/E with a high dominion.

As to the diversity, it's really not prohibitive at all to empower in earth to level 2, particularly as you'll be getting a earth income through voice of tiamat. After that you've got all the earth boots you need - no reason to wait for you god to break free. You've also got elemental staffs later on. The air boosters are so expensive it's very seldom worthwhile to give them to an A1 mage, though I feel the math works out differently with the elemental staffs since they serve so many purposes. Granted, a staff + 2 air boosters gets you up into some nice territory, but for that amount of gems you can practically empower a couple times.

So, without your pretender being awake or diversified you can shoehorn into earth, nature, and astral, while having strong water and death and token fire and air. That's a pretty decent diversity if you play it right. Then when your pretender wakes up you've got most of the best spells in the game with a powerful E/S pretender and powerful W/D mages.

This is certainly not the only way to play LA Atlantis, but I maintain that it is competitive. Arssatuts with that blessing are top notch dual blessed sacreds who are relevant through the whole game and more than make up for the opportunity costs it takes to deck them out.