Thread: AAR Quang Tri
View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quang Tri

Turns 41-46 (end)

The final turns are just mopping operations, eliminating the last demoralized NVA units inside the city. Final dispositions are:

The yellow line shows the areas still controlled by the NVA at the end of the scenario.

And the final results:

The casualties per formation are:

ACAV platoon. Total casualties: 21 soldiers. The unit is at 36% strength, is combat ineffective and is not visible on the map.
4/147 battalion is (1). Total casualties: 53 marines. Approximately at 57% strength*.
1/147 battalion (2). Total casualties: 56 marines. Approximately at 89% strength.
5/2TF battalion is (3). Total casualties: 97 soldiers. Approximately at 36% strength*.
7/2TF battalion is (4). Total casualties: 69 soldiers. Approximately at 78% strength.
1/11/2TF company (5). Total casualties: 17 soldiers. Approximately at 84% strength.
Other formations: 26 men in total, mostly pilots.

*started at 66,667% strength.

Equipment losses are 6 37mm AA guns, one T-34-85, one PT-76 and one T-54B for NVA. For ARVN, 2 M113s ACAV, one Cobra attack helicopter, 4 UH-1 helicopters, one OV-1D Mohawk observation plane, 2 A-37 Dragonfly ground attack planes, one F-4 Phantom fighter-bomber and one AC-130 gunship.

Looking back at the battle, I can say that my superior firepower gave me victory. Whenever my advancing infantry encountered any serious resistance, they would fall back and a hail of artillery fire would fall on my enemy. The position then could be easily taken by an infantry assault. When the enemy counterattacked, by MGs and infantry would fix the enemy and my artillery would destroy him.

Air force was also quite effective (with the only exception of the AC-130, which was shot down without firing a single salvo). The B-52s created enough carnage in the beginning and the tactical air strikes knocked out a significant number of weapon systems, including two tanks. My attack helicopters would also support my infantry several times, although they did need to make a trip to the HQ (that had the ammo depot) 3-4 times. The intensity of the operations was the reason for the high air losses, but it meant that the infantry had an easier task ahead.

My UH-1s carrying one para battalion performed the only maneuver for my force. These units managed to encircle the NVA force and capture the vital objective that was the two bridges connecting the two parts of the city.

NVA infantry was a formidable opponent and a dare say that had I not the monstrous fire support available, the battle would be much different (either different outcome, or much more casualties). They could fight up close and they were hard to break morale, at least until they had significant total casualties and their HQ was destroyed.

The battle is an ARVN minor victory, although remaining NVA units will be hard pressed to offer any meaningful resistance.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: