View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2018, 04:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missing / Lost Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
Thanks Andy for those valuable points! I'll fix 551, I saw the HQ unit class but was thinking it was for the A0 unit only, so I can safely change it from a rifle squad to HQ rifle unit (class)? Essentially, I think they should be the company HQ unit (those FOO's).
The HQ unit is there to be A0. If the A0 unit is the default HQ unit class it has enhanced FOO characteristics. If it is changed to another type, it loses that - unless it was made an FOO class (including an observation helo, but doing that would lead to more dead Hqs, since players and the AI will tend to kamikaze those!)

Making a company HQ an HQ unit class is a pure waste of time. Company HQs are not the A0 unit, so there are absolutely no benefits to a unit other than the A0 for being of that class. It will just put a big "kick me" sign on your CHQs against any human opponent - precisely why we do not have "command tanks" etc. that serve no game function other than to mark them for early destruction by a human opponent.That has of course not stopped some OOB designers from using some "special" Unit Class infantry as CHQs, say the only use of e.g. the medium infantry in a particular OOB - which human players will twig very quickly if fighting against these armies where the designer oh so "helpfully" did this.

The habit of changing the A0 to another type comes from SP1's long campaigns I think since you could only have 24 core units, so making the boss a tank was worthwhile because then you had that extra combat unit to contribute to the fight.

In our games, the HQ should remain as an HQ Unit Class. He can then call for fires almost like an FOO but if attacked then he has survival chances like a small rifle section would. If you make him a tank, the user will risk him or the enemy air may zap him in an airstrike since AFV stick out to planes unlike foot units. Losing the A0 loses any campaign (except the human v human) and has a bad effect on morale (especially when tipping the balance to "force broken" status) and he serves as the real link to off-map units so off map arty will go off the net more often if he is destroyed or routed. Battalion HQ's job is to hide in the rear and avoid conflict.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: