View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Sergeant

Sivran is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Moron Sues Over Roof Jumping

Quote:
in the time it takes me to change lanes come to a full stop and pull the jeans off I have been burned by your much safer temperature .
No, not unless your jeans are artificially heated. Sixty, even thirty seconds is a lot of time for heat to transfer away. The coffee, now with a much larger area for its heat to escape to, would cool before it could do anything serious. It would not remain at 160F for long enough to burn.

And I never mentioned the price of beans, nor did anyone else... Where the hell did that come from?

Let's play another analogy game. If I open up my computer monitor and stick my bare hands in it, I have a reasonable expectation that--gasp--I might get severely injured (or even killed) by the current running through it. Assuming I lived through it I would have no grounds for sueing anyone.

Coffee on the other hand is a different matter. Coffee is spilled every day, whether we like it or not. Coffee is expected to not cause serious injury, even if spilled. If it does, then either willfully or negligently, someone sold some needlessly dangerous stuff. Remember that this was not an isolated incident with McDonald's: they had been warned, multiple times, that their coffee was dangerously hot. So hot that if spilled, it would burn before cooling to the point where it wouldn't cause a problem.

Can we get back to the roof jumping now?