View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2019, 09:32 AM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Click-based enemy spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigeena View Post
TBH, this is very micro-managing. Usually, if I get return fire and I'm unable to spot with my units. I'll fire some rounds from other units in the vicinity of the suspected hidden unit. Once pinned, they will usually show up.
Area-fire with something heavier than rifles, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigeena View Post
And the usual suspects are the small size 0 teams. So I'm not too worried in the greater scheme of the battle itself.
In my experience, it is often the regular infantry of the enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
This issue has already been addressed to a degree, it’s linked to turning a unit for the same effect which now has the option to create reaction fire and would probably need a complete recode to improve it further.
The turning of a unit is an in-game event, which of course may trigger reaction fire and change visibility. That it takes zero MPs is a minor philosophical issue to which I do not object at all. The selection of a unit, on the other hand, is not an in-game event but a user-interface event. It should not affect the state of the game world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
Borderline visible units may turn up on occasion but it’s no big issue it’s a 3 minute turn.
By the way, from the rate-of-travel I estimate the temporal scale as one minute per half-turn, because if a unit travels a distance of 16 hexes its speed is 30 mph, which yields:
Code:
16*50/(30*1609)*60*60 = 59.56 (sec)
If units are considered stationary during the enemy half-turn, then the full-turn scale is two minutes, but you control your forces only half this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
I assume you had not used the procedure above and fired at the area near the unit causing the situation to change.
This I am guessing is what most of us do.
If not and it’s a game mechanic you wish to exploit feel free, I for one could not be bothered with it and will continue trying to make units visible using the above method.
You mean turning the unit around? No, I do use it, but, as I said above, it is perfectly OK to spot another unit by turning, because that is a physical action that can reveal your unit and even attract reaction fire. This interesting game mechanic has nothing to do with the behavior I report in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
As to trying to exploit it by clicking on my units dream on I have better things to do the updates to this game have allowed me to play faster due to the info available, I could go play slot machines if random clicking was my thing.
Didn't you say you were turning your units around to spot more enemies? If so, that requires clicking, so you already exploit click-based spotting. And that clicking is not random it all, but a very methodical procedure to update the vision of a unit.