Thread: Scenario Vital Airfield
View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:48 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vital Airfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
How are Homeguard formations numbered/lettered?
What Homeguard formations would be in the Bunge area?
Hmm..., IIRC they changed the names some time around when this scenario takes place.

Home Guard units had names that differed from the rest of the organisation - a Hemvärnskrets included a number of Hemvärnsområden....

Norra Gotlands Hemvärnskrets (Hvk)
- Gothem hvo
- Slite hvo
- Hangvar hvo
- Lärbro hvo
- Bunge hvo
- Fårö hvo

But the exchanged the names Hvk to Batallion and Hvo to Company (or if it was small to platoon). I assume it would have been Bunge Hvkomp. IIRC the name change took place during the 80s...

The Swedish Home Guard had it's roots in WWII. It was made up of volunteers too old for the Brigades or the local defence, i.e. around 50 years old. They had their equipment, uniform and weapon in their homes and usually lived close to their wartime assignment. The first priority of the Home Guard was to protect the mobilisation of the defence - Sweden practiced a dispersed mobilisation with vehicles and equipment etc spread out over the countryside in storages, farmers' barns etc. The Home Guard was also to man certain fortifications near air ports, harbours etc, and be able to protect important targets (bridges, goverment agencys etc) against sabotage. Or to destroy those targets if they were in danger of falling into enemy hands. That means the Home Guard was especially important in a coup type of invasion ("strategic attack").

The majority would have been in the field within an hour or two. On Gotland there was one Hv artillery battery which was unusual (I'm unsure of its location, doubt it was Bunge). The Home Guard was mostly a leg infantry organisation that when it came to combat focused on fighting in platoon, sometimes company.

The Home Guard was jokingly nicknamed "the Prostate Geurillas" though it had women in fighting positions early on.
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: