View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Close Assaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian61 View Post
I also raised an eyebrow at higher AFV speeds making them more vulnerable to close assaults. In close terrain speed should certainly not make AFVs invulnerable to close attack but in open terrain it pretty much should. In any case it makes no real world sense whatsoever for a fast moving AFV to be more vulnerable than a slow moving one.

Unless the assaulting infantry has the aid of a barrier, a high point (tree/overpass/building) to drop magnetic? mines or grenades from, a slit trench to allow infantry to slap a magnetic mine on an AFV as it passes over, a remotely detonated mine or similar such devices, close assault against an AFV moving 25+ mph seems far fetched at best.

Then again, this is a game. Limits of the game mechanics and engine may make this necessary to avoid exploitation. Still I think a fast moving AFV in open terrain should have, if anything, a bonus against close assault.
A fast-moving vehicle is not exercising caution. The crew focus is on the terrain ahead in order to avoid crashes etc into unseen ditches or whatever. The crew do not have your player's "God's eye view" of the map!. The passengers, if any, are getting much more interested in hanging on for dear life, avoiding biting through their tongue as they "chin" the deck while trying to peer out the hatches. Little unseen ground ridges produce real jarring "bumps" - even with a suspension system.

In any case - the usual complaints are coming from those who are into "micro dot details" - it is an abstracted game mechanism to represent the fact that vehicles who blunder into waiting and healthy infantry do not do well. Just try not to charge into infantry at over large speeds (>1/2 MP expended), or in fact, at all. "Track attacks" and "squashing crunchies" did not really happen much at all in reality, the tanks hold back and let leg infantry clear enemy positions.

Cheers
Andy