Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

John,
I agree hull down tanks have that advantage. Very rarely do I do that even against an assault...1) I can't always entrench my units. 2) I prefer to find fairly defensible terrain with decent fields of fire with over watch units where possible, I like my units to have "an out" and maneuver them to set up for the next shot or two.

As to the artillery issue, I've used my artillery (155mm HE or similar) as you've suggested in that manner for a longtime now. And your right it does work.

I know it works because I've seen it happen to me many, many times against me when the AI will pound the crap out of a critically important position or other, and if you will, to the both of us. This might be helpful in regards to an idea Don mentioned in passing, which to be honest, I don't think is necessary at this point.

These are both observed in the game turn and checked against my UNIT stats again using conventional artillery only:
1. Tanks destroyed - Rare
2. Tanks Disabled - Less Often
3. Tanks lose MG capability - Less Often
4. Tanks lose Secondary weapons - Often
5. Tanks lose TI-GSR/Sensors/Comms - Often/Often/Rare
6. Tanks Morale effected- Always
, however your more experienced units might hold the line here but if the support troops have been hammered, you might have no choice but to withdraw and regroup. By having to do that means, the enemy has achieved a certain level of success to some degree. They will be suppressed, retreating or routed it just may take a little longer then other UNITS.

It might take one good salvo from many arty units or several from a couple of arty units. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull a tank(s) back off the line because all they are is a "mobile pillbox".

I think the arty is fine in game, if my units could leave you feedback, I think they would agree.

Now somehow giving the AI supply capability would be great, but, that to my mind would be the much harder thing to do I think.

All I've played is against the AI for the last 15yrs. or so maybe longer and always long campaigns as I've described, how many battles has that been!?! I observe, it's what I do. It comes in handy here, when I served and especially now in my work, we just call it "Situational Awareness" and we harp on it constantly.

For what they are worth, those are my personal observations.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 9th, 2018 at 10:56 PM..