View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Corporal

Siirenias is on a distinguished road
Default Weapons Prospects

I have, of the last few months, discovered that I have a great liking for the works of David Weber, and it inspired a few weapons that I feel would be significant.

However, for some reason, when I attempt to create them, I am sorrowfully unable to implement them (aka, crash to desktop).

I won't request help directly...but I thought it would be fun to discuss possible additions to the rather impressive lists of ship armaments.

GRASER: Lasers in the gamma frequency employed in a heavy capital ship capacity. Less powerful and shorter range than anti-proton beams, but more rapid in firing repetition. Energy requrements are similar for anti-proton mounts, but skyrocket in larger mount sizes.

Laser Cluster: Computer-controlled, stationary but high-response turrets for point defense, including mines, fighters, and missiles. Faster fire rate than PDTs, but requre three successive hits to shred a capital ship missile. However, they can take out Standard Missles (below) in one hit.

Countermissile: A Standard Missile that lacks a warhead, opting for a much cheaper solid core, combined with a more complex sensors suite and computer brain to allow it to make direct hits on incoming missiles.

Standard Missile: The little cousin of the Capital Ship Missile, it was decidedly obsolete with the introduction of more automated CSM launchers. However, with further development of missile box technology, a 5-missile reloadable launcher has been produced that is of relative size to a single CSM Launcher. The reasoning is to overwhelm a target's PD with a small swarm of missiles a third the power of a single capital ship missile, and improved speed.