View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips for A newbie Playing as R\'lyeh

The summoning is a bit hard to get used to, but it can lead to some middle and end game powerhouses, so it is worth trying. The first thing to do is to run a search on summoning or, alternatively, my user name. A while back I asked the same questions and got some great answers. I will summarize what I remember, but for better information, check out the threads.

You need priest skills to summon. Each time you summon, your skill gets better and the power of what you recruit gets stronger. Use a cheap priest bought on turn one and do not move him until he goes insane, with one exception There is a national hero who has a very good summoning skill, so if you get him, you might have to try him/it out. Use your pretender for other things, he is valuable.

Some of the big things are very powerful. If you get the Gift of Reason spell (use thistle mace and something I forget to boost your nature magic) you can turn the big monsters into commanders, who will use spells and equip some magic items. They then turn into army eating machines!

Not sure, but I think many of the summons cause fear. Try to take advantage of this. While they are holy, the numbers are usually low, so I personally do not recommend designing a pretender just to get good holy powers.

Use your water movement well. Depending on the map and the other races, you can really get behind their lines and hurt them. The map of the UK is especially powerful this way. The seas are very large compared to the land provinces, so you can race down the sides and hit their rich provinces. Even if you do not hold them long, you will force them to spread their forces out while you concentrate yours.

Quickness is a great early spell for your casters, just be careful with fatigue. Learn more about Communion, as it can boost your power and lower fatigue. Join it with quickness and you can pump out a lot of spells quickly. Look at the related magic items, like crystal matrix, they help even more.

Have fun and eat the brains of the land creatures!