View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2016, 10:40 AM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Delayed Bombardments

I've come a long way in scenario design from the days of simply massing an OPFOR along lines of advance towards objectives and letting the AI do it's best.

I like designing scenarios from the NATO/US/Commonwealth perspective (although that is about to change), but I want to gain more realistic Red Team tactics in the engagements.

Assigning movement way-points has been a learning curve for me, but I feel that for the most part, I've been able to better utilize terrain and tactics for an advancing OPFOR to better emulate proper tactics.

Going one step further, I've been experimenting with delayed artillery barrages in conjunction with delayed OPFOR assaults. Specifically for the case I'm presently working on, a SMOKE barrage covering an assault mid-game. I've been able to do this, and it works, but an artifact I've noticed is that in succeeding game turns from start of the game to the turn the bombardment initiates, the sound of a barrage is heard in the Opposing Force turn start (with, of course, no actual barrage hitting). It stops once the reinforcement turn for the artillery starts and the actual delayed barrage initiates.

I've gone through the game manual and I can't see this covered. It may simply be an artifact of the program. I see no harm in it, other than someone scratching their head over the noise, or it alerting a non-designer player that bad things are going to happen..sometime.

If anyone could offer a suggestion to me for doing this better, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Tom