Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Well “Houston we have a problem” it appears we might be early on the South Korean K2 and are defiantly early on the K2A2 PIP (Black Panther). And it all started with the following so please don’t blame me, because it’s JANE’s fault as per this ref next…
http://www.janes.com/article/74933/d...mbt-production

Blame the guy who’s holding all those files-he’s a real bassturd!?! I’m only the messenger.

So from the above ref. Para 4 TORD - “An initial batch of 100 K2s – ordered in 2011 with deliveries commencing in 2014 – were fitted with the German MTU 883 diesel engine (@1200hp-mine) and Renk transmission system.”

Also from Para 2. I believe this (The second K2 ordered batch.) refers to the K2 (A2-mine) PIP this would have fit the planned dates for that originally as falling between 2016 and 2020. One of the noted K2 PIP characteristics was a new improved engine with a 1500hp capability + more to include the KAPS (Think IDF TROPHY) “hard kill” system, which has already completed all field testing and is operationally ready to be used.
TORD…
“In an audit submission to the defense committee of the South Korean National Assembly on 13 October, DAPA said the mass production of the additional 100 K2s is now expected to be complete by 2020. Under the initial schedule, announced in late 2014, the production of the second batch of MBTs production was expected to conclude in 2017.”

So I’ve been directed to pull together all the K2 information I have and note the various FOC dates included. I have further been directed to provide changes as necessary to include a comprise FOC date for the K2 based on the body of evidence included. Also please note dates of refs where given and that I had reported on this engine issue which also plagues the Turkish ALTAY (An update included at the bottom from 1 Nov. 2017.) In no particular order…

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/mo...ck-panther.php

K2 Development Section Not much help here except – “There was a new bump in 2011, when the Defense Acquisition Program Administration had to admit that the engine would be replaced by the original MTU-890 instead, at least for the first 100, delaying operational introduction until March 2014.”

K2 PIP Section – “This upgrade is intended for the near future (2016-2020) to improve the early batches.”

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product2311.html

K2 – Not much help here except under the Contract Section at the bottom of Dec 2014 -2019, but supports below ref. by year.

K2 PIP - Armor and defensive features Section – “As for the initial version of the K2, it will not contain any hard-kill anti-missile defense system. However, the K2 PIP, which is an improved version of the initial version, is slated to be released within the next few years, and will contain either a pair of anti-missile systems.”

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/...anther_mbt.htm

K2 Para 1 – “Production contract for the first 100 K2 tanks was signed in 2014. In 2016 this first batch of 100 tanks was reportedly delivered and additional tanks were being built.”

K2 PIP – Nothing.

http://www.army-technology.com/proje...n-battle-tank/

K2 – Intro Section - “The tank is expected to enter into service in 2014.”

K2 PIP – Nothing

Turkish Altay - The K2 Black Panther development Section
“The first prototype of the Altay MBT is expected to be ready by 2015.” They about made that-PIC

https://www.armyrecognition.com/sout...video_sou.html

K2 – Description Section – “Already in production, the K2 is scheduled to be delivered to the South Korean army between the latter half of 2015 and December 2017.”

K2 PIP - Variants Section -
"K2 PIP: an improved version of the initial production model of the K2 that will be released within the next few years."

Remember I said to make sure to check the posted dates where given. The above was posted on…
“Posted On Monday, 26 January 2015 15:47 (Updated on. - PJC) 25 April 2017

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...project-05012/

K2- Contract Section -
2011 – 2014
Nov 18/14: XK-2. South Korea’s WON 2+ trillion (about $1.84 billion) XK-2 tank project, which served as the basis for Altay, has experienced delays due to technical difficulties. Acceleration performance has been a particular issue, and the ROK plans to field it with a locally-made engine and transmission by 2017. So far, about 100 K-2 Black Panther tanks have been deployed in Korea. Sources: Yonhap, “S. Korea to put K-2 combat tank into full service by 2017”.

K2 PIP – Nothing

Turkish ALTAY Latest Update Section (Read all Please.) -
"November 1/17:
…Rheinmetall’s potential involvement in Turkey’s Altay tank program could also be in doubt—the firm has formed a joint venture with Turkey’s BMC to bid for the first tranche contract which would see 100-200 Altay units built."

In context to the rest of the para, the revised 2018 date I submitted a couple of months back is now in severe jeopardy. Don to be safe I’m really thinking JAN 2019 now for FOC of the ALTAY. They also tried an indigenous engine like S. Korea, and it hasn’t worked out either. With this political storm now it could be years before it'll see the light of day."

Side note:
The improved K1A1 they will be brought up to the K2 standard minimum, while the K2 will be brought up to the K2A2 PIP standard. This last para only for FYI. I do not foresee any of these first two above tanks coming out of service before games end. Also the K1 and K1A1 data looks fine as is.

Would recommend the following based on all above...

1) South Korea/K2/UNIT 025/START DATE/JUN 2017/VICE JAN 2014//

2) South Korea/K2 PIP/UNIT 033/START DATE/OCT 2018 (80%)/VICE JAN 2014/ADD KAPS Hard Kill/Also is to maintain current Soft Kill System/Can the game support both?/If not, upgrade to KAPS.// South Korea is much further along in fixing their developmental issues than Turkey is in theirs for the ALTAY. Given the current situation on the Korean Peninsula and with China to a lesser degree I feel strongly they will be motivated to get the K2 PIP on line ASAP. I’m basing my above date on these factors. But, I’m also prepared for the fact this could slip into early 2019.

3) Turkey/ALTAY/UNIT 614/START DATE/JAN 2019 (75%)/VICE JUN 2017//As noted in the above refs.

Well I've spent sometime on this yesterday and this morning. If you don't hear from me in the next couple of days, I was unsuccessful in my tactical infiltration into the bedroom and the rack.

4:30am somebody shoot me!?! Only kidding! Willing to take my chances!!

For the "other guy"...

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; November 1st, 2017 at 04:58 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: