View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your greatest victory and worst defeat

Though the game isn't over yet, it won't be long before it is.
PBEM game, me as Greece, him as Italy, December 2007, battle location Italy, don't remember the number.
Points 11000, meeting engagement.
I bought 2 Leopard 2HEL, 2 mechanised inf co+ with BMP-1s, 4 Apache Ds (the 4 hellfires + 4hellfires configuration), 2 off map artillery 175sp guns and 3 Pzh 2000 (for the cluster ammo) and 5 recon planes.
He bought 5-6 I think MBTs, a couple of inf-SAMs, somert 105mm and 155mm artillery, 5-6 tow jeeps (don't remember the exact type now), and what must have been about 20 IFVs with 25mm cannon, TOWs etc, with infantry in them.
We are in turn 6-7 out of ~26.
I have lost 1 BMP-1, 2-3 jeeps (empty), 1 special forces inf squad. 2 Apaches and 1 transport heli have withdrawn from the battlefield.
He has lost all the above apart from 2 inf-sam squads, 1-2 IFVs, 1-2 snipers, 1-2 inf squads.
Most of my kills were from the Apaches, 1 enemy MBT from my Leo2, 1 MBT from a Milan 3 infantry (part of the mechanised inf co+ ) and 3-4 IFVs from my Pzh2000s.
As I said the battle is not over yet, but I have scanned the battlefield a few times with my planes, and control my half of the map and his bottom third of his map, in control of all but 2 V hexes (next turn will be mine).
Unless he has managed to hide in the fields several more units, I can't see how this battle can change.
By far my biggest victory ever against a human, perhaps even against a AI.

The guy is good. He knows the game better than I do. Perhaps luck, perhaps good tactics etc.
In our last battle (nov 1963, he was USA, I was USSR) he kicked my..army so, this was a nice surprise.