View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Template for reducing late game MM hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
Here's another idea to reduce micromanagment. In my limited experience, the problem isn't the forging, moving guys around, hoarding gems, etc.; it's the fact that you have to do it in a million provinces!

Solution, shamelessly stolen from poker: raise the blinds.

After 40 turns (or whenever), reduce the provinces by half. Seriously, just mash them together. Do it again after 80 turns, and again at 120 if it goes that far. The big 400 province map, necessary when you started with 24 nations, is now a maneageable 100. Like in poker, the little guys get screwed, but that's kinda the point. :

Dunno if it's possible. There would be a large issue of merging sites, fortresses, units, etc.
A very interesting idea. But at first glance Id be tempted to say its not possible. Of course then I immediately remind myself that impossible is just a technical term for "more trouble than its worth" so I will think about it abit.

Personally, the fix I find for any irritating re-occurring actions in any game at all is the same. Every game eventually sees players come up with a way to automate boring micromanagement actions. Ive seen it from MUDs to WoW. A macro scripting software such as AutoHotKey will allow you to record your mouse moves and typing then assign them to a keypress such as Ctrl-Alt-A. I havent played with some of the fancy latest programs along that line but I do know that good old AutoHotKey works fine with Dom3 on WinXP.

Gandalf Parker
--
To some people, unlimited options seems to them to be zero options.
Without a menu of choices, they are lost.