View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Private

Nitro Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix

Guess I should of read down a bit more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Render View Post
ok I'm back...

Don - I'm guessing you meant the message delay and/or animation rates? Neither fixed or changed the lag, in either direction. With or without the palette fix in place.

Also the palette fix seems to be crashing sections of Win 7's Explorer (or the whole thing). No toolbars, no icons, no desktop, only the background remains, no way out after game exit except to hard reboot. And it doesn't shut down the DOS window on start up...

I'm more then willing to keep testing...

Especially since my old XP rig just died (multiple hard drive self-immolation). Over 500 saved games lost forever...

DESPERATION
IMPENDS,
R
I have noted the issue with the icon-less screen once that you mention above. I bumped my "Windows key" (on the keyboard), the game was minimized to the task bar (still running). To fix, you can double click on the game tab in the task manager or open task manager and double click on the game there. If you quit the game and your Desktop Icons don't appear do this:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+ALT+Del)
Click on the "Processes" Tab
Under "File" select and click (New Task (Run)
Type in "explorer.exe" hit return or click OK
This should bring up your Icons again for you.

If the problem is occurring often it could be other issues with your PC.
Make sure you defrag occasionally and clean up your system. I recommend the Free version of "Glary Utilities". This is also a good utility to easily "turn off" those nuisance start up programs!

As far as your crashed hard drive, there is a software cure. It's called Selkie Rescue. It's pricey ($100) but it works. You'll need the dead PC (the crashed hard drive must be in a PC that has a CD ROM drive), a crossover (network cable), and another working laptop or PC with the software installed. I've used it, it's magic! Recovered a HD that quit (grinded to a crash) in its entirety. Of course the information on the crashed drive needs to be worth the cost (I went halves with the person that crashed their drive, provided I could keep the software). Always backup!!

I use the Free versions of SPWW2 and MBT too, retired military pay just don't allow for luxuries such as the upgrade lol. Probably should have purchased it when it was cheaper a few years ago. Anyway, I do try to support Don and Andy's work by word of mouth.