View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM

Private

Render is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix

Ayup NC, all drivers were updated when this rig was re-built for me three weeks ago. I bought it used, cuz it was cheap and the payment plan was easy.

The dead rig was a single hyper-threaded 3.2GHz CPU with 1.75GHz of RAM and a 7600GT video card running XPPro SP3. Built to play Day of Defeat.

===

First settings (taken from previous XP rig):
Scroll speed: 200
Graphics Delay: 10
Unit Move Delay: 50

Final Settings (long weekend):
Scroll Speed: 125
Graphics Delay: 1000
Unit Move Delay: 25

Ground and air units still hesitate every three hexes on long moves. Direct fire and indirect fire animations are very slow (read the serial numbers on the shells as they go by slow). Reducing the unit move delay below 25 made moving units a little nuts and didn't seem to effect the three hex hesitation. There is also a brief hesitation when clicking on each unit and when hitting spacebar on each unit, sometimes I have to hit the spacebar twice to bring up the unit window.

What's the maximum available graphics delay? That does seem to have helped a bit, but I'm not sure how far to push it...is 99999 a viable number?

I'll try it with the animations turned off tomorrow.

===

The fix file skips the settings screen and goes right to the pre-game splash screen (wasn't that kind of a no-no?). This means loading the game without the fix, changing settings, and then exiting, before loading the game with the fix file for each test run.

===

Don: I had previously tried emulating XP and Win98 without the fix file. I'll add that to tomorrows list. I normally run without any game sounds. Could that hesitation be related to the sound files? (something else for tomorrows list - I'll try it with the sounds on.)

===

Small miracles department: I found a back-up of almost all of my saved game files on a thumb drive, 400 or so out of 500+. I'll take it, it's more then I expected...

CARRYING
ON,
R