View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road
Default Re: North Korea errors report

Quote:
Marcello, where did you find this? I haven't seen it before.
I should have mentioned that, it was in some thread on Military photos . net, like most others images.
Usually I would post links to pictures, to give proper credit, but since most users there seem to use image hosting services which keep the images on for a limited time I usually save whatever I can.

About the vehicle itself.
Initially I thought it was an other self propelled artillery complex. However I was told on tanknet that the gun was an antitank weapon (possibly a MT-12 lookalike). Further, on several recently published OOBs ( The North Korean People's Army By James M. Minnich for example) there is mention of direct fire SPG units. SU-100 or SU-76 are listed as equipment but I suspect that the vehicle in the above picture is what is actually used, at least in the first line units.

Quote:
There may be several versions of the M-1992 SPAAG. The Military Balance (IISS) lists two versions. One with twin 23 mm guns and one with twin 37 mm guns. Jane’s Land-Based Air Defence (2002) and the latest update of Jane’s Online claim the same. The North Korea Primer has three versions – with twin 23 mm, 30 mm and 37 mm guns. The FAS website (Link) and GlobalSecurity.org (Link) claim the same.

Jane’s Land-Based Air Defence has a small photo of the M-1992 with 23 mm guns. It looks the same
I have some doubt about Jane's claim. If you are copying a
ZSU-23-4 there should not be any reason to replace the quad
23mm with a twin 23mm. The gun complex should not be the hardest part to manufacture, even for the North Koreans, and there are not more powerful cartridges available in the 23mm range than the ones already used on the ZSU-23-4. So you cannot have a more powerful twin 23mm guns and the quad 23mm is already barely good enough. A twin 30mm would make more sense as it would have some extra range.

Quote:
Jane’s says that the M-1992 with 37 mm guns does not have a gun dish. As far as it is known, it does not have an onboard radar fire control system.
Aren't they talking about this by chance?

In this case source is www.china-defense.com