View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2018, 09:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arab vs Israel Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I meant up to 200m, and not just ATGM´s but also Sabot rounds. I´ve started from aprox. 800m away.

While for a old MCLOS AT-3 system there are lot of reasons why they´re not that precise it wonders me more why the T-62 tanks miss their SABOT rounds on a knifefight 200m range against a completely static turret target most of the time. From a realism standpoint it makes not much sense for me but there is probably something I am are missing (terrain, conditions etc.).
I started a 73 LC as Syria and for the first 3 battles the troops arent that good due to low experience.

Once they survived 3-4 battles and racked up a few kills, the tanks are adequate as experience is gained.

I also always try to get the tanks to one position where they will shoot stationary at oncoming enemy (e.g. behind a ridge-line). Low experience troops that move have the hit chance lowered - and that includes having moved far in the previous turn. They need a full turn stationary to be fully halted. So get them to the firing position ahead of time and wait.

In addition I treat a soviet-style tank company as if it were a platoon - all 10 tanks lined up in adjacent hexes 6 front, 3 + commander 1 hex in the rear, 3 attached BMP a couple of hexes behind that. On the initial advance, I marry up a rifle co and some RPG teams on the tanks as riders then try to drop those off 200m behind the objective clusters and let them work forwards - these take care of the pesky Israeli bazooka teams. Concentrated fires help a lot against AI troops that arrive in platoon packets, and especially so when the AI manages to advance as a company sized lump. T-5X and T-62 don't really want to be manoeuvring in even little 3-packs spread all over the shop, they need to be in 10-packs to survive. And my battalion of 3x10 packs tends to move as a single elephant herd of 30. Plus each 10-pack has a section of ZSU-23-4 trailing it. And there is a platoon of BRDM missile shooters overwatching the whole herd, filtered for 9 armour so they plink tanks and not the pesky APCs. Plus the arty and mortars automatically "mow the lawn" in front of the thundering herd as well in order to deal with bazookas and also reduce visibility for the enemy armour so they have to close to engage.

Keep 60s style Soviet equipment in one solid armoured fist, and they do well. It is the way they were envisioned as being used in their doctrine after all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: