Thread: Arty Mod?
View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Arty Mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
I doubt it,since this feature was just implemnated last patch.
No more womping the field with ridiculous amount of
arty firepower without any penalty.
I recall when playing a PBEM opponent, we usually would come to an agreement that the artillery purchased could not exceed a certain percentage of the Force Value and some guys would additionally exclude certain artillery pieces.

I think it was Suhiir who pointed out in another thread that the heavy reliance on massive arty fires in Vietnam by US forces may make it difficult to design historical scenarios given the arty penalty assessment, as I recall the point of his post. Although, the arty penalty system may adversely impact Vietnam or other US historical scenarios, I would favor a system that restricts artillery above a certain percentage of force value, say 12%. Furthermore, a designer may mitigate the affect of the arty penalty in US historical games by some other method, such as allocation of Victory Objectives and point values or modification of enemy unit costs.

On balance, the arty penalty assessments seem an equitable balance between massive purchases of artillery on one hand and limiting artillery purchases altogether on the other.