View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2000, 04:05 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Approach to Research

Wingte:

==========================
Well ,, 100 turns hasn't given me enough time to play with the advanced traits very much.
Nope, it's enough.
Try selecting low tech cost in the game setting, or starting with 5 or 10 planets, or selecting all the tech allowed from the start.

As I understand it if I set the racial points high enough for me to get the advanced traits,, then all the computer generated players also have the opportunity to get the advanced traits. Of course it might be possible to simply reduce the individual traits enough to add one of the special reseach areas while locking all the computer generated one out.
The AI is not good doing races... in fact the AI still need work in all the fields...
To do more interesting games, I was forced to create some AI races to play against (giving them some Advanced Traits, and not taking any Advanced Trait myself).

In a game with 2000 points to generate your race, you can pick one of the advanced traits without problems... look this example:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fse4centerfo...icID=599.topic

============================================
Hmnnnn 1500 points is a lot of reduction. Are any of those sspecials worth it???
============================================
You will see that some of these tech is really powerful (Cristallurgy or the Biological Manipulation)!
The Psychic is powerfull too, but more against the AI: you can take over their ships, if the AI is not using a Master Computer... and the AI is not so smart (At least in the 5.6 demo), to see that need to get the Master Computer.

1500 is nothing compared with the advantages! You get so fast, so powerful weapons and armors.
For this reason I think that these tech must be balanced...
In fact, I think that if you go to play against other human, you need to pick one of them or you will be wipped...
Regards

MB