View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2019, 04:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LOS and Z fire under v12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
Please don't shoot me. Please read then argue constructively.

Having played the game using v12 LOS and Z key rules I've reach a conclusion that some parts of it are wrong.

In v12, Z fire is now only allowed into hexes you can see so none of the Z fire ability outline below applies.

With my curiosity peeked I worked out to the nearest 5 what density actually blocked LOS and how far through woods would Z fire work in v11. It turns out that LOS is blocked at 35. That worked out to be seven hexes with 5 density woods, two hexes with 30 and only one hex with 40 density. Play any game and that’s what you get. This has not changed in v12.

Z Fire under v11 went out to approx 200, way beyond what is visible. Exactly how far I didn't bother with as it was ridiculous and the changes made in v12 are all perfectly valid in that regard.
BANG! Just kidding.

Actually my experience with v12 is that z-fire through non-blocking terrain is as before, effectively unlimited within constraints of relative elevation and weapons range. IOW you can still shoot through smoke or even flaming wrecks.

What's changed is that any blocking terrain, including trees and buildings, block z-fire beyond them. So advancing through forests and urban areas becomes more problematical without artillery support.

Whether or not this makes many scenarios unplayable for some gamers is an apparently moot point, since Camo Workshop seems determined to eliminate the arty spotting z-fire exploit as a bone of contention in PBEM matches. In any event I personally played without z-fire through trees and buildings in literally hundreds of scenarios before utilizing it as a "crutch" in recent years. Made it lots easier to get DVs that way.

To make a long story short I'm satisfied with the changes made in v12. Sorry.

Last edited by jivemi; April 11th, 2019 at 05:23 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post: