View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Private

bonehead is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Win(e)SPMBT under Linux. (Ubuntu 7.10)

Good Day,

I was at the WineHQ site yesterday and saw an entry that stated that winSPWW2 ran without issues under wine version 1.1.4. I'm a bonehead, and forget which Linux distro the poster was using.

So, today I updated my Wine install to 1.1.4, using openSUSE 11.0 + KDE3.5, and an ATI Radion X1650 graphics card (with current ati driver installed).

I started a console session, started winefile, and installed both winSPMBT and WW2, including (in correct order of course) all updates, by doubleclick on the files. (easier than all that tedious typing in a console)

Then I started winecfg in my console session, added both game option exe's as new programs, and set them to be used as windows 2000 programs. All other options were left as is.

Afterwards there were a pair of new menu items in my Wine menu, but only for the "uninstall" exe's?! I have no idea what (if anything?) I did wrong, but there was no menu entry anywhere for the game start exe etc, nor any desktop shortcut for the game as is usual when I install a win type program using Wine. Unhappy.

So, I started a new console session, typed winefile, and then navigated to the the winSPxxx GameOption exe(s), and tried a doubleclick. The GameOption window opened immediately. I set the options to Windowed/GDI mode (as per the hint from the WineHQ entry)(http://appdb.winehq.org/) and tried to start the game. It started. Happy!

Since I have a 22" widescreen monitor @ 1280x1024 res, the game window was/is somewhat small. I guess that I will now consider buying the CD(s) now that I can actually play the games again. (No, that is not an advert for the developers, just an observation. Heck, For all that I know Andy and Don might not even LIKE me. :-) I just don't like the drudgery of adjusting screen res back and forth.)

I haven't done any in depth playing so far, just started the game, bought a test force, deployed, and started a game. Haven't fought to finish yet. NO issues found so far.

I also started Mobhack. So far (a 20 minute tour) everything works without problem, with one exception. The icon graphic displays 3 single squashed 1-color icons that are less than usefull. NOTE!!! That is NOT a statement that Andy and Don have done something wrong. Just that Wine doesn't seem to be supporting Mobhack properly. OK?

All things considered, this should be very good news for Linux users. We can play SP again without having to do any hacking/editing of files.

More later,
james