Thread: Wishlist The Next World War
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2016, 05:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Next World War

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
There are many articles and papers floating around the public domain talking about cyber warfare of various hues, it's consequences and ramifications for the military services.

Especially after Iran took control of a drone in 2011 and most recently, "monitored" the carrier Truman in the Persian gulf.

To deny or downgrade the emergence of cyber warfare is a mistake.
When you're dealing with "could" vice "has" (and even then more often then not) you're always going to be able to find documentation to support whatever you wish. Even at the last minute some of the folks actually involved in the atomic bomb project thought it would be a dud, others thought it would destroy the entire Earth.

Having worked as a programmer during the Y2K scare (aircraft were going to fall out of the sky, the entire world economy would collapse, etc. etc.) and being fairly familiar with networking (tho I'm by no means a Net Admin) I have no doubt at all there WILL be some problems. But I have serious doubts the entire system is as vulnerable as many people seem to think.

Sure someone can occasionally bring down a drone (I'm actually surprised it took as long as it did), or monitor communications ... you may recall Enigma during WW II ... and various other things. All this will disrupt, not bring down, modern communication systems. And only an idiot assumes the system won't be disrupted to some extent.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post: